Welcome to BYTESized's Aladdin Jr. audition information
Thank you for your interest in BYTESized's production of Aladdin JR. This IS A JUNIOR PRODUCTION for 8-18 yr olds. All auditionees must be at least 8 yrs old at the time of their audition and 18 or younger at the time of the last performance. All auditionees 8-17 must have parental or guardian permission to audition, and it is expected that audition bookings are made by parents or guardians.
Auditions will be held February 1 and 2. Groups of up to 8 will audition together in one 30 minute session. Each auditionee will need to prepare an age appropriate song from musical theatre/Disney but NOT a song from Aladdin. Please bring a backing track (no vocals) on USB, CD or phone with auxillary connection/bluetooth. Please make sure the track is downloaded. Do not rely on an internet connection to play. No acapella auditions will be allowed.
Auditionees may be asked to take part in a ‘cold read’ of a short scene from the show. Copies of scripts will be available in audition waiting room for auditionees to read through prior to their audition time.
A separate dance audition will be held Sunday 4pm to 5pm for those who wish to be considered for additional dance roles. Dancers must also take part in a group audition.
Please make sure you can commit to the rehearsal schedule. Cast are expected to be available for all required rehearsals unless prior arrangements have been made. Cast must be available for all production week rehearsals and shows.
Rehearsals are from 16th February to 8th May: Monday nights and Friday nights 5:30pm-8pm and Sundays 1-5pm with full day rehearsals from 10am-6pm closer to performance dates. (No rehearsal on Easter Sunday, 11th April, however rehearsals will be held on Good Friday and through the term 1 school holidays.) Show dates: two shows Friday May 15 including a Schools Show at 11am, and two shows on Saturday May 16. There will be extra evening rehearsals in the week leading up to the show.
If you are cast in the show, you will be expected to commit to the rehearsal schedule, and contribute to the production in other ways which will include publicity and marketing. BYTESized Productions and Albury Wodonga Theatre Company are committed to the health and well being of cast, production team, volunteers and employees of the Albury Entertainment Centre and all people involved in the show. Aggressive, violent, or disrespectful behaviour to anyone either at rehearsals or via other forms of communication will not be tolerated and will result in people responsible being removed from the show and possible reporting to police.
CONDITIONS OF AUDITIONING
- For our records, the audition may be filmed.
- Any 18 year olds cast will need a current Working With Children Check. Both Victorian and NSW is required.
- If accepted into the cast, Cast members may also be asked to provide or purchase minimal costume items including shoes, stockings, and stage makeup.
- This is an unpaid opportunity.
After you book your time slot, you will be taken to an online audition form. This needs to be completed online and the form will be emailed to you. It needs to be printed and signed by the parent or guardian and brought to the audition. By signing this form you are agreeing to a full commitment to the show, which includes the following:
1. I understand that if my audition is unsuccessful I must accept and respect the final decision of the production team. Any further discussion about the audition process must be made formally through the Secretary of the Albury Wodonga Theatre Company: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. I will be available for rehearsals on the days and times scheduled by the Director.
3. I understand that if I fail to attend more than two rehearsals without approval from the production team my role in the production could be terminated.
4. I understand that I may be required to be available for Media Calls outside of rehearsals times.
5. I understand that I am part of a team and may be required to attend occasional working bees to assist the progress of the show.
6. I understand I may be asked to arrange aspects of my own costumes.
7. I understand that my commitment to the show is complete and the “show must go on”.
8. I understand that my costumes, makeup and hair designs will be determined by the respective production staff and I agree to abide by their artistic requirements.
9. I agree to pay the appropriate production fee ($60) to be a part of this production. As a production member, I am bound by the Rules of the Association (AWTCO). I have no claim against the assets of the Association.
10. I understand that punctuality to all rehearsals, events and performances will be expected.
11. I will be responsible for the condition of any items allocated to me as part of the production (e.g. Costumes). I will be responsible for paying the replacement cost for any lost and damaged items.
If you cannot comply with all these requirements, please discuss with the Producer prior to auditioning.
BYTESized productions supports casting diversity and inclusion, and we warmly welcome performers of all genders, ethnicities, and body types to audition for our production of Aladdin Junior! We are looking for a cast size of around 50, so all performers will be heavily featured.
Aladdin (Male, 13-18): Aladdin, a poor street urchin, longs to make his mother proud, but sometimes loses his way. He’s the thief with a heart of gold, so requires a charismatic actor with the versatility to play both the playful prankster and romantic lead. Dance ability will be an advantage. Vocal range G2 – E4
Genie (Any, 10-18): Genie is the fast-talking, fun-loving, scene- stealing wisecracker who lives in the lamp and yearns to be free. Requires great comic timing and a flashy and fun sense of showmanship, dance ability will be an advantage. Vocal rangeG2 – D#4
Jasmine (Female, 13-18): Jasmine, the Princess of Agrabah, longs to experience the world outside the palace walls. Curious and assertive, she knows what she wants and craves the freedom to make her own choices. Requires a strong actor and singer who can portray both the romantic lead and a young woman caught between her responsibilities to her people and to herself. Vocal range G3 – E5
Babkak (Any, 10-18): Babkak, Omar, and Kassim are Aladdin’s three loyal and playful pals. Babkak is the Agrabahn foodie who loves to snack, and needs strong comic timing. Dance ability will be an advantage. Will likely double as ensemble. Vocal range G2 – E4
Omar (Any, 10-18): Babkak, Omar, and Kassim are Aladdin’s three loyal and playful pals. Kindhearted Omar has a sensitive soul, and needs to be able to portray a nervous and loveable character. Dance ability will be an advantage. Will likely double as ensemble. Vocal range G2 – E4
Kassim (Any, 10-18): Babkak, Omar, and Kassim are Aladdin’s three loyal and playful pals. Stubborn Kassim yearns to be a leader, and needs strength and confidence in performance. Dance ability will be an advantage. Will likely double as ensemble. Vocal range G2 – E4
Jafar (Male, 13-18): Jafar is the power-hungry and crooked Grand Vizier. Requires a strong actor who can portray both sides of Jafar’s two-faced personality – loyal advisor to the Sultan and scheming villain – as well as pull off delicious comedic moments with his lackey, Iago. Minimal singing role. Vocal range Bb2 – Eb4
Iago (Any, 8-18): Iago is the fawning and funny sidekick to Jafar. With minimal singing, an actor who can execute this lackey’s many sarcastic asides with comedic flair is ideal. Will possibly double as ensemble. Vocal range Bb2 – E4
Isir, Manal, and Rajah (Any, 10-18): Isir, Manal, and Rajah, Jasmine’s devoted attendants, keep the Princess grounded with their honesty and openness. Isir, whose name means “inspiration,” is optimistic; Manal, “achievement,” is assertively encouraging; and Rajah, “hope,” is the most protective. Strong singers and harmony skills required. Will likely double as ensemble. Vocal range B3 – Eb5
Sultan (Any, 13 -18): Sultan, the warm-hearted ruler who dotes on his daugther, is committed to upholding the ancient laws of Agrabah. Role will be cast by young actor with strong comic timing. Minimal singing required. Will likely double as ensemble. Vocal range Ab3 – C4
The show will have an ensemble of around 30 performers. These will require strong harmony skills, acting skills and dance skills. Ensemble will be featured in a variety of roles, including;
Agrabahns are the citizens of Agrabah who help to create the bustling marketplace – merchants, shoppers, beggars, guards, etc. Included in this ensemble are the following featured roles
The Beggars (3) are a small group with whom Aladdin briefly interacts.
The Apple Vendor is a merchant who reviles the beggars and from whom Jasmine unintentionally steals an apple.
The Fortune Teller unwittingly helps Aladdin escape the guards in “One Jump Ahead.”
The Shop Owner is a marketplace vendor from whom Aladdin steals bread.
Razoul, the rough and commanding head of the palace guards, answers to Jafar.
The Guards (2) follow Razoul’s orders.
Prince Abdullah is one of Princess Jasmine’s haughty and arrogant suitors.
The Attendants (2) accompany Prince Abdullah on his journey to Agrabah.
The mysterious Spooky Voice, conjured by Jafar, reveals the location of the lamp.
Cave of Wonders
The Cave of Wonders is the ominous voice that instructs Aladdin to fetch only the lamp from the treasures within.